There have been baths of one kind or another on this site since 1817 but it wasn’t until the space was taken over by Argyll Baths in 1860 that Turkish Baths were added. Some time prior to 1883, they came under the ownership of a firm called Jones & Co. Between 1886 and 1889 Jones & Co sold both their establishments to Henry and James Forder Nevill. The Nevills already owned more establishments in London then any other company. This would be their fifth in total. Between 1893 and 1895 the Nevills demolished the old baths in order to build afresh in order to compete with the specially designed baths in Northumberland Avenue that they had built in 1884. Designed by architect, G Harold Elphick in a distinct style, using Craven, Dunhill tiles, and taking advantage of its location next to Liverpool Street Station, the Stock Exchange and Lloyds, this establishment was clearly for the City gent.
After the closure of the baths the venue sat empty for many years. Having withstood the bombs of two World Wars, the Victorian Bath House has lived through many incarnations, including a restaurant, bar and nightclub.
The space was extensively refurbished and restored to its former glory by Camm and Hooper, overseen by Russell Sage Studios.